Let's say that your organization has some sort of a process, or project, that occurs on a repeatable basis. To streamline the repeatable process, TaskRay allows you to create project templates, which can include all of the steps, or tasks, of the process. These templates can then be cloned to create new projects, keeping all of the project details, tasks, and other specifications.
All templates automatically get added to the Templates board filter in TaskRay.
You can learn more about templates in this webinar recording:
Create a Template
- In the left sidebar, click on the Plus icon at the top of the Projects section.
- Select Create New Project.
Note: If you have Record Types enabled, you will be asked to select a Project Record Type first, which will appear instead of the Create New Project option in the dropdown. You can learn more about record types here.
- This will open the Project Details. Enter the Project Name along with any other necessary information.
- Check the Template checkbox.
- Click Save & Next.
- Optional: Add Team Members. When you clone the template, these team members will be automatically added to the cloned project. Under the Team tab, in the search field, start typing the name of the User, Queue, or Public Group you want to add to the project and click on name to make your selection.
- Optional: Connect Chatter Groups. When you clone the template, these Chatter Groups will be automatically connected to the cloned project. Click on the Groups tab to connect Chatter Groups to the project. In the Add Project to the following Chatter Group Filters field, click to add one or multiple Chatter Groups. If you connect Chatter Groups to the project, that project will appear in all board filters that use a Chatter Group filter to sort projects.
Note: Connecting Chatter Groups to a template will automatically include any cloned projects in the Board Filters that are using the Chatter Group as a filter.
- Click Save & Close.
Add Tasks to Templates
Overall, the process of adding tasks to templates is the same as adding tasks to projects.
You can also schedule tasks when adding them to templates. If dependencies are enabled, then the task dates will automatically adjust when you create a new project from the template clone.
If necessary, you can also add checklists to the template tasks, as well as create task dependencies. All checklists and task dependencies will preserve when cloning the template.
Turning Existing Projects into Templates
If you have an existing project that you would like to turn into a template, you can do so by following these instructions:
- In the left sidebar, hover over the project that you want to turn into a template and click on the More Actions icon that appears.
- Select Edit Project. Alternatively, double click on the project.
- Double click on the Template field and select the checkbox. Alternatively, click Edit and then check the Template checkbox.
- Click Save & Close.
The project will turn into a template, preserving all of the details, tasks, dependencies, and team members. You can find the project under the Templates board filter.