ImportantOn May 10, 2023, Legacy Record Types will be retired and Multiple Record Types will be enforced. It is recommended to make the switch prior to the retirement date to ensure a smooth transition.
Prior to the February 2020 Release, organizations that use Record Types for TaskRay Projects and Tasks were required to associate each Task Record Type with a Project Record Type. This provided basic support for Record Types in TaskRay, but limited the use of Task Record Types to one per Project Record Type. This setup is known as Legacy Record Types.
With the February 2020 Release, we added the Multiple Task Record Types feature, which removes the limitation stated above and allows organizations to use multiple Task Record Types in a single Project.
On May 10, 2023, Legacy Record Types will be retired and all organizations will be required to use the Multiple Task Record Types feature. Use the information below to learn about Multiple Task Records Types and how to make the transition.
Simply put, Multiple Record Types allows organizations to use multiple Task Record Types in a single Project. This allows administrators to do things like configure different Page Layouts for different Tasks in a given Project, offer different Page Layouts for different Users who work on the same Task in a given Project, or customize the values of the List picklist to offer different options for Task status and columns in Kanban View depending on Task Record Type.
For example, if you use Milestones in your Projects, you might want to use Multiple Task Record Types to create a simplified Page Layout for Milestone Tasks where different information can be tracked vs. the other Tasks in a Project based on the fields included on the layout:
Additionally, you might choose to streamline the List picklist values available for the Milestone Task Record Type:
Which effectively limits the choices for the List status of Milestone Tasks:
This is just one example of the customizations enabling Multiple Task Record Types makes possible.
Follow the steps below to enable Multiple Task Record Types.
- From Setup, navigate to:
- Lightning: Custom Code | Custom Settings.
- Classic: Develop | Custom Settings.
- Click Manage next to TaskRay Global Settings.
- Find Enable Multiple Task Record Types and enable the custom setting by checking the box.
- Click Save.
- Multiple Task Record Types requires the Enhanced Modal Layouts custom setting to be enabled. This setting determines if TaskRay uses Field Sets or Page Layouts to display record details, and it needs to be enabled so that Multiple Task Record Types use Page Layouts instead of Field Sets. You can find more information about enabling Enhanced Modal Layouts here.
- After enabling Multiple Task Record Types, TaskRay users will see a new option to select Task Record Types in Kanban View. Selecting a Task Record Type will control the Tasks shown on the Kanban View and the appropriate columns to display based on the List picklist values available for the selected Record Type:
- After enabling Multiple Task Record Types, TaskRay users will also see an option to select Project Record Types in the left sidebar. Users can select a Project Record Type to filter the list of available Projects in the left sidebar or choose to view all Record Types: