Projects may be nested to up to 5 levels of hierarchy with parent projects and sub-projects. When you create a project hierarchy, it will be visible in the sidebar, as well as in the Plan View.
While project hierarchy provides a way to keep tasks organized, as an alternative, you also have the option to use task groups to organize your projects.
Create New Sub-Project
The project hierarchy consists of parent projects and sub-projects. Sub-projects can be created from parent projects.
- Identify or create the project that you want to have as the parent project (see Create Projects for more info). In the left sidebar, hover over that project and click on the More Actions icon that appears.
- Select New Sub-Project.
- This will open the New Project Details screen. Enter the Project Name. Notice that the Parent Project field is automatically populated.
- Click Save & Next.
- Optional: Adjust Team Members. By default, team members will be copied over from the parent project.
- Optional: Click on the Chatter tab to adjust Chatter Groups connections. By default, Chatter Group connections will be copied over from the parent project.
- Click Save.
Change a Project into a Sub-Project
You can also turn existing projects into sub-projects and nest them under parent projects.
- Identify the project that you want to have as the sub-project. In the left sidebar, hover over that project and click on the More Actions icon that appears.
- Select Edit Project. Alternatively, double click on the project.
- This will open the Project Details screen. Double click on the Parent Project field to enter inline editing mode.
- Click on the lookup icon next to the Parent Project.
- In the window that appears, in the search field, enter the name of the project that you want to have as the parent project and click Go!
- In the search results, click on the needed project name to make a selection. This will be the parent project.
- The lookup window will close and you will return to Project Details. Click Save or Save & Close.