Managing resource allocation is quick and easy in the Flux Planner. Taking action is a two-step process:
- Identify resource allocation concerns and select Tasks to assess reassignment impacts
- Locate the right Flux Resource and reassign Tasks
Step 1: Selecting Tasks
Once you’ve identified a Flux Resource that requires action, click on any Project bar(s) and/or Task bar(s) that you’d like to reassign to another Flux Resource.
Once you click on a Project or Task, you will see the Resource Summary row recalculate to show the resulting utilization. This helps you understand if the action you are taking will put the Flux Resource at the desired utilization level.
In the example below, Andrew Franklin is over-utilized on Wednesday.
By clicking on the “Review Success Criteria” Task, you see 4 hours deducted from Andrew’s workload for Wednesday. This puts him at a desired utilization level.
Selected records are added to a helpful selection tray indicated with an alert in the top right of the screen. You can see a list of all selected Tasks by opening the tray.
Change your mind? You can remove any Tasks from selection by clicking the Remove button in the Tray, clicking on the already-selected Task bar in the timeline, or clicking the Cancel button at the bottom of the screen. Cancel will clear all selected Tasks.
- Once you’ve selected all Tasks you wish to reassign, click the “Reassign Selected” button at the bottom of the screen to proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Reassigning Tasks
Now it’s time to find the right Flux Resource to reassign the Tasks to using “Reassign Mode”.
- The Reassign Mode displays the resulting utilization levels for each Flux Resource if the selected Tasks are assigned. So at a glance, you can determine the resulting availability of each Flux Resource before committing to any changes. In the screenshot below, we see that Sam Wilson’s resulting utilization on Wednesday is 77%, so we can confidently assign the selected Task to him.
- You might wish to apply filters, change the date range, or adjust the summary level to help you make a final decision. All of those features (described above) are available in Reassign Mode.
- To proceed with reassigning Tasks, click the Resource name of the desired new Task owner, then click the “Assign Selected” button to commit changes.
Considerations When Reassigning Tasks
- Users must have BOTH the Flux Flux Planner Viewer AND Flux Planner Admin permission sets to be able to access Reassign Mode.
- You can only select one Flux Resource to assign Tasks to.
- As noted above, selecting a Project will select all Tasks displayed under that Project for the current timeline date range. Other Tasks owned by the same Flux Resource on the selected Project that are outside of the date range (ie. not displayed in the timeline) are NOT selected and will be unaffected.
- To reassign all Tasks owned by a Resource on a Project, you can either adjust the timeline date range to cover the duration of the Project in question or use the Flux Planner Contextual Component.
- Any filters applied in Step 1 (selecting Tasks) are kept intact in Reassign Mode. You can adjust filters as desired to find the right Resource to take the work.
- If you’ve selected any Tasks with dates that extend beyond the date range displayed in the timeline, the Reassign Mode will show a caution message to indicate that you may wish to modify the date range displayed to see the full impact of Task reassignment (see screenshot below).
- When you see this message, it’s recommended that you simply adjust the date range to cover the full duration of the Tasks being reassigned.