Task groups and their tasks can be cloned. When cloning a task group, you will need to specify the project to which you want to add the new cloned task group. In addition, you will also set a new schedule for the tasks that are within the cloned task groups, which can be based on the first task date, last task date, or milestone. All of the dependencies will be preserved in the cloned new project.
You can clone task groups in Task Group Mode in Kanban and Row Views, as well as in Plan View.
Cloning a task group will:
- Copy all field values of the related tasks (including topics), and checklists
- Copy task dependencies (if enabled)
- Copy Task Files
Cloning a task group will not clone any associated Chatter conversations on tasks although it will clone Chatter files.
Additionally, if the task group contains any tasks that are owned by team members that are not on the destination project team, those team members will be added to the new project team.
[Kanban + Row] Task Group Mode
- In the left sidebar, click on a project to enter single project view. Alternatively, you can use Single Project Search to select the project.
- In Kanban or Row View, in the top right corner of the page, switch the Task Group Mode toggle to on.
Note: If you can't switch the toggle to on (toggle is inactive), check that you only have one project selected in the left sidebar. Task Group Mode cannot be turned on when multiple projects are selected.
- Locate the task group that you want to clone, hover over its name and click on the More Actions icon that appears.
- Select Clone Task Group.
- This will open the Clone Task Group window. Step 1: Name Task Group. This will default to the original task group name, but you can change it and enter a new name for the cloned task group.
- Step 2: Project. This is the destination project that the task group clone will be added to. By default, the field will display the original project that the task group belongs to. However, you can change it to another project by clicking on the X in the field and searching for another project name.
Note: If you are using Record Types in TaskRay, you will only be able to search for projects that are in the same record type as the task group that is being cloned.
- Step 3: Schedule. Choose between Set first task date, Set last task date, and Set milestone date. This will determine the dates for the tasks in the cloned new task group: tasks will be rescheduled automatically based on the selected option and date.
- If you select Set first task date or Set last task date, you will need to click into the Date field and select the date for the first or last task of the new task group.
- If you select Set milestone date, you will need to first click into the Select milestone field to pick a milestone (the menu will list all milestones in the original task group) and then click into the Date field to schedule it for the new task group.
Note: The selected milestone must be scheduled in the original task group in order to be used for scheduling tasks in the new task group. If the original task group does not contain any milestones, this option cannot be used for cloning.
- Click Clone.
The process to clone a task group is the same in Plan View as it is in Task Group Mode in Kanban and Row Views. However, it is a slightly different path to get the the Clone Task Group window.
- In the Projects & Tasks sidebar, locate the task group that you want to clone, hover over its name, and click on the More Actions icon that appears.
- Select Clone Task Group
- This will open the Clone Task Group window. Follow steps 5 through 8 in the [Kanban + Row] Task Group Mode section above to clone the task group.